by Michael Procopio
Product Marketing Manager, Operations Bridge
For companies that use SAP it is one of their most important applications because it supports critical business processes. Micro Focus recognizes this and have developed a cross portfolio set of solutions with tuned HANA-compatible, SAP-focused content with unique intellectual property.
For Operations Bridge (OpsBridge) this means assuring your SAP environment is performing well. Also that all stakeholders have maximum visibility into how SAP and the business it is support are doing.
The goal for the solutions are that they be simple, fast, smart, and easy. For Operations Bridge this means:
- Pre-packaged content and proven use cases
- Operational in less than 1 FTE month, including focused SAP HANA content or less than a day using SiteScope with SAP solution templates
- Enable business innovation, support automation and risk mitigation
- Non-SAP expert staff can act on first time fix recommendations
Prepackaged content for Operations Bridge
- Management Pack for Infrastructure – this covers operating system availability and performance
- Management Pack for SAP – this covers SAP ABAP and J2EE, given a starting point it will discover all the dependencies and automatically start monitoring, it also provides specific cross domain correlation
- Management Pack for SAP HANA – adds SAP HANA database monitoring, HANA specific discovery and monitoring
- Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager – collects data from SAP Solution Manager monitoring tool to bring the information into Operations Bridge for AIOps based analysis and consolidation of data to a single screen
A Business Value Dashboard showing transaction and system metrics for SAP. Click on image for a larger version.
BPM and RUM
Business Process Monitor (BPM) and Real User Monitor (RUM) are now components of OpsBridge. BPM does synthetic user transaction monitoring, Real User Monitor (RUM) monitors application traffic as it crosses the network both have specific support for SAP protocols.
Think of going to an SAP web UI to place an order. BPM will go through all the steps you do and report back availability and how long it to get from one page to the next. In addition to web UI testing BPM supports many other protocols including SAP protocols.
SiteScope provides both application, or digital experience, monitoring and infrastructure monitoring. It does agentless monitoring so it is very fast to set up, less than a day or with basic set up in less than one hour.
For application monitoring it can test application URLs and process a transaction like placing an order. For infrastructure monitoring it can log into a system and run commands to get performance data, for example run commands to see which processes are running. It has specific monitors and solution templates. A solution template is a set of specialized monitors, default metrics and thresholds, proactive tests, and best practices for a given application or component being monitored.
The SAP specific content includes:
- SAP CCMS
- SAP CCMS Alerts
- SAP Java Web App Server
- SAP Performance
- SAP Work Process
For more details read then Monitoring SAP with Operations Bridge blog post or the Accelerate Your SAP Basis Work with the Go4SAP Solution Program product flyer.